We promote energy efficiency and renewable energy options, geared toward local needs and situations.
Upcoming events in various locations, 2011
Co-sponsored by Community Environmental Center and event partners
In 2011 Sustainable Flatbush is hosting informational events to provide information on the Weatherization Assistance Program. This federally-funded program provides home improvements that reduce energy bills by an average of 32%, while at the same time improving health, safety and comfort, all at NO COST to income-eligible homeowners and tenants. The purpose of our workshops is to connect Flatbush residents with the program’s benefits.
Weatherization Works! blog posts:
- How To Fix Your Home and Save on Energy Bills – March 8th
Held on March 20, 2010, at Brooklyn College Student Center
Co-sponsors: National Grid, Pratt Center for Community Development, NYSERDA
This event featured workshops with experts on energy efficiency strategies for both 1-4 family and multi-family buildings, as well as a vendor fair. New York State Senator Kevin Parker, New York Assemblymembers Rhoda Jacobs and James Brennan, and City Councilmembers Jumaane Williams and Brad Lander were all in attendance.
Energy Forum blog posts:
- Green is the stuff you DO in buildings
- Brooklyn Community Television covers the Neighborhood Energy Forum!
- Ellen Honigstock at our Neighborhood Energy Forum
- What National Grid Can Do For You
- Neighborhood Energy Forum on March 20th, 2010!
- On the Path to Energy Efficiency and Affordability
Coming to the streets of Flatbush in 2011!
Sponsored by ConEd
Currently in progress, the SunBike will be a mobile solar electric system that gets around in a retrofitted cargo bike. The SunBike will be able to power a small sound system at a block party or charge laptops and cell phones at a cafe, demonstrating that renewable energy is not a dream but a reality right now.
SunBike Blog Posts
- SF SunBike to Bring Power to the Streets
- Solar PowerBike needs your help!
Neighborhood Solar Forum
Held on July 16th, 2008 at Ditmas Workspace
This informational event featured a presentation from solar advocate Chris Neidl on “Why Solar Works in NYC”, along with anecdotes from homeowner Peter Landy about his own solar powered Brooklyn townhouse.
- Neighborhood Solar Forum on July 16th!